Saturday, July 19, 2008

Toasty here in NJ

It was definitely the hottest day of the year to date in Central New Jersey. At 1:00 PM local time, the back porch thermometer (which is NOT in the direct sun) topped out at 101 Degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 C).

I don't know if it's going to be this hot tomorrow; but it's going to be close. And the weatherman is saying that this heatwave is supposed to carry on for the next few days.

Now I'm not saying that there's any carry over from the air temperature to the conditions on the airwaves; but 40 Meters was hot tonight!

At 0207 UTC tonight I worked a new country via QRP to bring my QRP country total to 87. I heard and broke the pile up to work YL3GFX and snare Latvia on the lower portion of 40 Meters. He was a very strong 599 into NJ and I got a reasonable 559 back.

A few KHz up was a European Russian station RA1AOB who had a bigger pileup than the Latvian station! Since I already have European Russia in the log; I didn't stick around to break that pileup, even though I was tempted just for the sport of it.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment