Friday, August 17, 2012

Lest you think

that we bloggers never get on the air and just sit behind the keyboard all the time ......

I had a very FB QSO with fellow blogger Dan KB6NU on 30 Meters tonight.  I was calling CQ and Dan answered.  Dan is working on his Extra Class study guide, so we chatted for a bit and reminisced about our own exam experiences.  Dan and I have actually worked numerous times on the HF bands - it's always nice to run into him.

That was followed by two more rag chews, one with Tom, N8TL and Jim NH4C.  Both were on 30 Meters, also.  The 88' EDZ antenna seems to do a very good job for me on 30 Meters.  A far cry from the G5RV.  Not to say that the G5RV wouldn't load on 30 Meters - it did.  But I get much better signal reports with the EDZ and I feel like I'm warming up the ionosphere instead of just the antenna wire.

I was going to go to the NJQRP meeting tomorrow; but received a request to help out at a VE session with the Raritan Valley Radio Club at the Somerset County Fire Headquarters building in Hillsborough, NJ.  It's been a while since I have participated in a VE session and I do want to keep my credentials up.  Besides, it's a much closer trip for me to Hillsborough, than it is to the NJQRP meeting.  I'd say the trip to the VE session is about a 1/2 hour to 40 minute (if there's traffic) ride from here. The ride to the NJQRP meeting is an hour and a half from here - easy.  With gas prices going up yet again, I think I'll stay closer to home.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment