Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I guess I am not the hardiest individual

This past weekend, we enjoyed some temperatures in the upper 40s and lower 50s (9 to 12C) and we had a lot of snow melt. I've even seen some robins hopping about - a sure sign that Spring is on the way.  These Polar Vortices that we have been enduring, bringing bone chilling cold and snow down into our midst have sure taken a bite out of my lunch time QRP operating sessions.

I guess I am not the hardiest individual.  While I love QRP and CW, and getting on the air as much as I can, I do not cherish the cold weather. I have not been on the air at lunchtime since last December. Way back then, daytime temperatures were tolerable, and I didn't mind sitting in the car and pounding brass. It was chilly, but not mind numbingly cold.

The past few Winters spoiled me.  I look back at my logbook, and I see that there were actually days that were so mild in January and February, that I actually spent some lunch hours out of doors in the local park!  This year, that would have been the height of insanity.  Hating the cold weather as much as I do, even Amateur Radio is not enjoyable for me if I am not comfortable.  Operating under adverse conditions during an emergency is one thing. Doing it when you're supposed to be just having everyday fun is not my cup of tea.

The good news is that, if the weather prognosticators are correct, we should be heading into more normal temperatures come maybe the second week of March.  So even if it isn't balmy, it will be more than warm enough to head out to the car for some daily lunch hour QRP.  The old 60's song rings true - "Don't it always seem to go that you don't what you've got 'til it's gone?"  I really miss my daily fix of QRP.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Larry, just wanted to say you inspired me to take up lunchtime QRP operating, with my ATS-4 on the roof at my high rise office building. But for whatever reason after several weeks I have only been able to land 3-4 contacts. I almost never get an answer to my CQs, and I don't hear many calling either. I think it is partly that I'm on 20m in the afternoon on the west coast. Band is already closing out east. I'll keep trying!

    ReplyDelete