Monday, August 28, 2017

Say it ain't so, Joe!

As Elecraft announces the availability of their KXPA1500, full legal power amplifier, it has become apparent that, as you peruse through their Order Page, that the Elecraft K1 has gone the way of the Dodo bird - it is extinct.


You can still acquire some of the accessory band modules, the autotuner , the noise blanker and the back light modification kit; but that's about it.  I would expect that declining sales; plus the problems associated with purchasing "through hole" components are what led to the demise of the K1.

In the back of mind, I knew the day would come; but it's still a shock to see it become a reality. The K1 was the first transceiver kit that I purchased from Elecraft - in fact, the above photo is "my" K1. I very reluctantly sold it in order to afford my KX3.  I don't regret having the KX3 as it's my dream rig; but I sure wish I could have found a way to afford it without selling my K1.

So if you have a K1, give it a pat on the head for me tonight.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. I have had the pleasure of building two K1's....a four bander and a two bander...unfortunately I did not have the good sense to keep one. Sold them both to active QRPers...so maybe one day i will hear them on the air again. Makes me wonder about the K2 and how much longer it might be around. Many radios have come and gone in my shack but my K2 has been a rock and never left my side. So long old friend, the K1, seems we hardly knew ye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad but with the parts issue I guess it would had come sooner or later. I wonder then the K2 is going to meet the same fate? As Brian has said it's a great radio and super kit to build as I have done 2 of them.
    73,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the K1 may be gone from the product list, their original product, the K2, is still available.

    ReplyDelete