Tuesday, July 24, 2018

So why do you do this?

I was asked in an e-mail ..... why do I send out so many certificates for the Skeeter Hunt? The person who e-mailed stated that I'd save a lot of effort, time and money if I just sent out certificates (or just e-mailed pdf files) to the top winners; and that I shouldn't bother with the rest.

Here's why:

This came in the mail to me quite unexpectedly, one day back in 2006.


The day it came, I hardly remembered even sending my score/log in. All I remembered was the great time I had, operating in the sprint. To earn a certificate for 5th Place and Top NJ Score (Who know? I may have been the only NJ participant!) was just icing on the cake!  QRP-ARCI didn't have to do that. It would have saved Jeff Hetherington a lot of effort, time and money. But he did it, anyway; and I'll never forget it.

I don't have and probably never will have DXCC Honor Roll plaque, or 5 Band WAS plaque, or any of the real prestigious operating awards like that hanging on my wall. But I do have this lil ol' certificate from a QRP sprint where I had a blast operating. That certificate occupies a prominent place on my shack wall; and it means a lot to me.

I guess my sending out so many Skeeter Hunt certificates is paying that forward. I can only hope the Skeeter Hunt certificate recipients garner the same amount of satisfaction that I did when I received that Hootowl Sprint certificate.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment