Saturday, June 12, 2021

Impossible? Or am I hearing what I want to hear?

 Maybe this should be part of "The Things I Never Noticed Before" department.

Someone posted about this on Facebook the other day and I had to take a listen. Lalo Schifrin was tasked back in the 1960's with coming up for the opening theme song for the TV show "Mission Impossible". So the story goes that given the premise of the show, he thought it would be good spycraft to incorporate some Morse Code. So... if you listen to that opening beat ......dah dah, di dit ........  dah dah, di dit ....... dah dah, di dit.

You get "M" and "I" for "Mission Impossible".  The timing is not perfect, but the discerning ear should be able to make it out. How many times I have heard that theme song and never noticed it before!


There you go. Tell me what you hear. Is it just me, could it possibly just another example of "urban myth"? Am I just hearing what I want to hear or is it there?

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. For many years, UK's tv channel ITV produced a police detective series called Morse, after the lead character. The theme music demonstrates how well CW can be blended into such material. The follow-on show Endevour can also be recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Cool! Also completely failed to notice it before! The 'Inspector Morse' programme referred to in the earlier reply is indeed nicely blended, but extremely obvious, as it stands alone at the beginning and other sections of the title music.

    ReplyDelete