Friday, May 12, 2023

An interesting video

 I stumbled across this yesterday

:


Several things stood out for me:

1) He had no real purpose for learning Morse Code in that he's not an Amateur Radio operator or intends to use it on a regular basis. He's learning Morse just for the experience. While I suppose that is a goal in and of itself, it seems to offer no sense of purpose or urgency, if you will.  When you're learning something just for the halibut, rather than because you need to use it, you can afford to be blasé' about it.

2) He practiced when he was tired. Not a good way to go about it, in my  humble opinion. Being relaxed is a good thing, but when you're dog tired, your mind wanders.

3) Even worse, he seems to have started off by writing down the dits and dahs and then decoding them as an afterthought. He seems to have abandoned that by the end of the video. The biggest error one can make in learning the code is to have any type of visual aid, unless of course, you're in the Navy and intend to be looking at blinking lights. I see charts and  other printed "quickie methods" for learning/remembering the characters. Those make me shudder. When you rely on visual aids, eventually you are going to have to "unlearn" them and rely on the sounds only. Might as well do that from the start.

4) If nothing, this young man is persistent. He doesn't give up even when he hits a wall and it gets hard. Kudos to him for that.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry, I actually enjoyed that video! I saw it and thought "Well if he can do it just for the heck of it, surely I can give it a go, because I would benefit massively from it in my QRP work". Thanks for posting!

    73, Tom, M7MCQ
    www.m7mcq.com

    ReplyDelete