Sunday, March 03, 2024

That sinking feeling

Oy!

You know that sinking feeling you get when you step into the shack and you turn eveything on and something isn't right? And the last time you were in there, everything was working perfectly?

That happened to me yesterday. I stepped into the shack, turned everything on and the KXPA100 sat there like a silent, dark brick. Normally, when I turn on the KX3, the LEDs on the KXPA100 come on, even though I keep the output at 5 Watts. I like to know it's available when I need it for checking into the St.Max 80 Meter SSB Net on Sunday evenings, or for a possible DX ATNO popping up on the bands.

That didn't happen yesterday. It just sat there, foreboding and lifeless. 

The first thing you have to do is choke back that feeling of panic. Really ...... no one in their right minds wants to take a piece of hardware off line and deal with getting it repaired. In a perfect world, that never happens - but as we all know, this world ain't perfect.

So the next thing you do is start the troubleshooting process. And oddly enough, that begins with turning the KXPA100 "on". Weird, right?  But not really.  In use, the KXPA100 power switch is to remain in the "off" position. The KX3 itself is supposed to turn the amp on during power up.

Thankfully, when I flipped the switch on, all the LEDs lit and I heard a few relays click, so that meant the amp itself was okay. So that leads us to figure out why things still aren't right. Everything was fine when I last left the shack - what changed? What would cause the KX3 to stop talking to the KXPA100?

As it turned out, I finally remembered that during my last time in the shack, I had pulled the radio a little closer to me on the operating bench. Something must have happened then. I looked at the left side of the radio, where all the cabling is and I noticed that one cable appeared not to be pressed in all the way. And it took a real close look, because we're talking just a couple of millimeters here. Not even noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it. I gave the plug a push and, lo and behold, the lights on the amp came back on and everything was back to normal! Crisis averted! 

When I pulled the radio forward, I must have inadvertantly tugged on that cable, causing the problem. While I could very easily live without the KXPA100, I have become accustomed to, and enjoy checking into the St. Max Net on Sunday evenings, and as much as a dedicated QRPer as I am, I also have enough common sense to know that the KX3's maximum 15 Watts just will not cut it for effective communication there.

Oh well, what the heck are a few more gray hairs?

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least! 

No comments:

Post a Comment