Thursday, July 20, 2006

Foxhunt success - finally!

I was finally able to hear the two QRP Foxes tonight! It's only about the 6th or 7th week of the summer season; and this was the first evening that I actually heard the two ops acting as Fox!

I heard Don NK6A very weakly up at about 14.060.44 MHz. First he was listening up about 2 MHz. He was working a lot of guys and I was calling him often. At one point he sent "W2L?"; so I know he heard me, but when I came back from sending my call again, he was starting a new CQ, unable to copy me.

I went down low to find John K4BAI. He was working around 14.052.00 MHz or thereabouts. John is one of the best contest ops that I know. He was working simplex and I was able to nab him the second time I called. John's ears must be bionic; because he picked me out of the muck and actually gave me a 569 report. QSB was bad; but at peaks John was the 579 I gave him.

One Fox in the log, I went back up to listen for Don again. This time he was working simplex and calling CQ - often! Fortunately, his signal was coming up nicely from the ESP level that it was before. This time it took about 3 trys; but I finally had a QSO with him, thereby grabbing his "pelt" also. He was an honest 559 and that's the report he gave me.

It's nice to break out of my slump and actually work someone for a change! It's been depressing up until now - tuning around every Thursday night and hearing next to nothing. I hope this is the start of a good run for the remainder of the summer hunt season.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment