Monday, May 12, 2008

Making progress

'Twas a busy week the past week! My son made his First Holy Communion on May 3rd and Mother's Day was just yesterday. Getting ready for both weekends left precious little time for radio or blog posts for that matter!

But I did get on the air for just a tiny bit yesterday; and for a greater bit tonight; so I haven't been totally radio starved. And last Thursday night, 40 Meters was especially nice! I managed to work Ireland, Hungary and the Cayman Islands all within the space of about 20 minutes! It was a night of good conditions.

However, what I really wanted to note is that I've been making steady progress with the ATS-3 and I should have it done soon; unless something comes up out of left field! I noticed tonight that I have more than half of the SMT devices mounted. If things go well, I should be able to take the finished radio on vacation up to Lake George this summer.

Speaking of "summer"; the weather here in New Jersey so far this May has been cooler and wetter than normal. Friday we had over 1.25 inches of rain. The weekend was breezy, raw and uncomfortably cool. Ideal weather for the grass; and it's been growing faster than I've been able to keep up, mowing-wise.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a day to buck the trend. We're looking for sunny skies and highs around 70 degrees. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to the park during lunch and will be able to break out the K1. I'm thinking of stowing the mag mount and Hamsticks in the trunk to see if I have better luck with those over the PAC-12. Maybe I'll make my first portable QSO for 2008 if I get lucky.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment