Saturday, June 13, 2009

Weber Dual Bander


I had the opportunity to meet my friend Bob W3BBO on the air today in order to hear his newly completed Steve Weber Dual Bander which is offered by Hendricks QRP Kits.

Bob built his to be used on 40 and 80 Meters. I first heard him in QSO with Ken WA8REI on 40 Meters at about 7.030 MHz, give or take a few. He had a very nice signal, from Erie, PA into New Jersey, about 579. The tone was pleasing to listen to, as you would expect from a Steve Weber design.

A bit later I also heard Bob at around 3.560 MHz on 80 Meters. The band wasn't good for us as Bob was only about a 449 on my end; and I was about a 339 on his, and QSB was playing havoc on both ends.

If you're interested in seeing more about this rig, you can follow the hyperlink that I provided above. Two caveats, however ...... the first it that Hendricks QRP Kits blew through their stock of the first run of these and it appears they currently don't have any at this time. The second is that even if Doug did have stock, it really wouldn't matter as KI6DS has closed up shop for the summer in order to take a much needed vacation with his XYL. However, when Doug returns later this summer, I'm sure he'll lay in another supply for your purchasing and building pleasure.

I can't vouch for how easy it was to build; or how easy it is to operate; but is sure sounded good on the air!

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment