Saturday, November 28, 2009

There's a plethora of DX out there

on the bands! And you really have to be a die hard anti-contester if you don't at least jump in to try and find a few new ones. The bands are humming with all kinds of countries, from the real exotic to some of the more familiar ones. It's a veritable smorgasbord!

There are two European countries which are kind of common that I have worked many times; but not QRP - Norway and Austria. I figured if I bagged those two - that would bring me up to 99 DXCC entities worked. Up and down 20 Meters and up and down 40 Meters, I hunted and searched. Finally on 40 Meters I found an Austrian station and called for what must have been a half hour and no dice. Further on down the band I heard CN3A - Morocco! Called and broke the pile up on about my fifth try. Go figure! I have NEVER worked Morocco before, let alone QRP; so not only will he count towards QRP DXCC; but now I have to make sure I get his card so I can count him towards my regular DXCC total. As of right now, I think that's 137 countries confirmed. I know, I'm not burning up the DX world but I'm proud of that just the same.

I just came down the basement again to give a listen for a while and my old neighborhood nemesis QRN is back. I figured to call it quits for a bit and would compose this blog entry. Then maybe I'll watch some TV for a bit. Usually after about 11:00 PM or so, whatever neighbor it is turns off the offending appliance and the QRN disappears for the evening. So I'll give it another shot in a half hour or so.

Two more and I will have the 100 that I need!

73 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:10 PM

    Larry,I run qrp cw myself.My set up consist of a Yaesu 817/G5RV.Im not working new countries everyday but do pretty well for a casual operator running QRP.What is your set up? 73's Matt KG4IZS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:11 PM

    Larry,I run qrp cw myself.My set up consist of a Yaesu 817/G5RV.Im not working new countries everyday but do pretty well for a casual operator running QRP.What is your set up? 73's Matt KG4IZS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,

    At home I use my K2 to either my G5RV which is up about 25 feet; or my Butternut HF9V vertical. I also have an 88 foot inverted L that I use - it runs opposite the G5RV for a different broadside direction. For portable use, I have a K1 that I use with either a Buddistick or various doublets such as the NorCal doublet or a 88 foot design that I improvised.

    No towers, beams or anything fancy - can't afford it!

    73 de Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete