Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Holding my tongue

A couple years back, when I was interviewed for "QSO Today" by Eric 4Z1UG, he asked me what were some of the things I learned from doing this blog. I answered "Humility" as that was the topmost thing I could think of. And right after that was "Respecting other's opinions".

I learned both those lessons the hard way. When I started this blog some 13 years ago,  I was much younger and a lot less thoughtful and a lot more arrogant. There were times when I was brash, thoughtless and I acted like I couldn't care less if I offended anyone by what I was writing at the time. Folks called me upon it in the comments from time to time; and I took their words of advice or more properly, admonishment, to heart.

It's easy to be brash, snotty and snarky while pecking away at the keyboard. After all, you're by yourself with no one looking over your shoulder while you're typing - it's so anonymous.  However, I didn't want to earn the reputation as someone who a) inserts foot in mouth before speaking, or b) thinks he knows-it-all.

But I have to tell you, boy-oh-boy, would I really like to let loose one of these days.  Over the past few weeks, I've read things from various sources and in various places on line that were either flat out wrong, misleading, frustrating, inanely stupid or just plain "Horse Hocky" as Col. Potter would exclaim on M*A*S*H. Just gets the ol' boiler bubbling.

But as the quote goes "discretion is the better part of valor" - so I'll hold my tongue ....... for now. We're having problems as it is in Hawaii, with one volcano. We don't need another.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!


No comments:

Post a Comment