Monday, November 05, 2018

A side benefit of being a Ham

Kit building and homebrewing have been a big part of my Amateur Radio career. Tinkering with electronics and the mechanical aspects of building kits has always been fun. In fact, that was what led me to a 20+ year career in electronics repair in the professional photographic industry.

Even though that chapter of my life has closed. the skills seem to remain. A week ago, my wife Marianne was opening the dishwasher when the handle cracked off in her hand. We were able to get the thing open and emptied, but the latch wasn't working well enough to keep the machine tightly closed for a wash cycle.

One YouTube video later, it became obvious that replacing the latch AND handle would be the easiest way to get the repair done. I ordered the part and replaced it yesterday. It was definitely NOT the most complex repair I have ever made in my life. I still give Amateur Radio credit though, because it's been through Amateur Radio that I learned not to have fear of, or have qualms about taking things apart and putting them back together again. And because of that, I probably saved a decent amount of money in the process.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Larry, I think HAMradio did and still does make my future. When I was on primary school I didn't know what I would become? And you had to make a choice....the only thing that had my interest was reading and drawing. Then at a certain point of my life around 12 years or so I became interested in radio a lot, it was the time CB radio just became populair here. I met other people and began tinkering with electronics. My life went a complete different road. And now I am employed as a repair technician and still have radio as my main hobby. Althoug I still like reading....73, Bas

    ReplyDelete