Saturday, September 16, 2023

Yes ...... yes it does!

Make sure to read Dan KB6NU's blog post - https://www.kb6nu.com/yes-learning-about-radio-does-matter/

He touches on a subject that always strikes a chord with me; and is one of the reasons I really hate "Ham Crams". Yes, I know the goal is to get people licensed - but at what cost? I have assisted at several Ham Crams and the results from the exams have ranged from mediocre to horrible.

When K2VHW and I have taught what I consider to be "traditional" licensing classes, they consisted of 8 weekly sessions. One weeknight for 8 weeks, for 2-3 hours per session - with review and exam at the last session. Our passing rate has never dipped below 85% - and I personally know that many of the participants that we have guided through the theory have gone on to become active Amateur Radio operators,

Again, I'm a dinosaur, but my feeling is that if you're not willing to put in the time to learn this stuff the right way - then why even bother? It ends up being a waste of your time and my time. Maybe my grandfather had a saying that put it best (he grew up on a farm) - 'Never try to teach a pig to sing. it will frustrate you and annoy the pig."

My apologies - I think I've been doing a little too much ranting these past few weeks.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you car to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment