Monday, February 05, 2024

Who knew - indeed!?!

I came across the following post on Facebook - out of respect for the poster, I will not name names.

"I guess it's a thing, now: amateur radio Morse code ops are now sending 72 at the end of a communication, instead of 73.

Have they not perfected their 3 yet, or is there some secret club I'm unaware of?

Turns out that, 72 is used for 73 but when you are running QRP.  Who knew?

So, then: we should use 74 when QRO, now!"

I suppose this was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I also sense some snark in this. Of all the things that you can get upset with / annoyed by in Amateur Radio - the use of "72" by QRP Ops is going to get your knickers in a twist? 

Bad pile up behavior, failing to listen before using a frequency, tuning up on a DX'ers frequency, and a myriad of other bad operating practices and "72" gets your goat? And of course you get the follow up comments "Why do QRPers think they're so special?" etc, etc, etc. - Just like the old playground game "Dog Pile On The Rabbit". Sheesh!

Explaining that "72" is used mostly between QRPers, wishing each other "Best QRP" seemed to hold not much, if any, sway.

Well, all I can say is:

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Jason Milldrum9:25 PM

    Life is too short to put up with Sad Hams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:54 PM

    72 Larry, de VE3FI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:20 AM

    My biggest pet peeve is the use of the word "keyer" which has somehow become prevalent in just about every ham group on FB, when someone is talking about a straight key! ie: "I am just starting out with CW, does anyone know of a cheap keyer I can purchase?" Grrr...

    ReplyDelete