Thursday, April 25, 2024

Bad boys, bad boys .....watcha gonna do?

 


Abbot and Costello were a favorite of my childhood, right up there with Laurel and Hardy. I always get a chuckle when I hear Lou Costello tell Bud Abbot, "I've been a baaaaaad boy!".

So what did W2LJ do that's so bad? Depends on your point of view. If you're a brother or sister Ham - nothing! To the uninitiated ..... "What do you need another radio for?"

I buckled under last night and ordered a QMX transceiver from QRP Labs. Not the kit, but a fully assembled-in-the-enclosure-80-to-20 Meter version. I've got too many kits in the pipeline that are waiting to be built. I don't need another. For that matter, I don't need another radio, either! But it's so tiny and can do so much and I've been wanting to get one for so long. I just couldn't sit on the fence any longer and last night I took the plunge. I figured I might as well order one while I'm still working full time. With retirement looming in the not too distant future, purchases like these might not be as easy to justify. I have no idea how long it will take to get here, but I'll wait. Oh, I know that it will be worth the wait!  (Just looked at the waiting list - if I'm lucky maybe September or October).


So in that way, some would say that "I've been a baaaaaad boy!' To which I might reply, "It's a Ham Radio thing ....... you wouldn't understand!"

By the way ....... Happy Marcon's birthday! The ol' boy would be 150 years old today. Better than lifting a glass - get on the air in his honor today! 

And I just stepped out of my office for a second or two to see that today is "Bring Your Kid to Work Day". It was exactly for this "day" back in 2005 that a bunch of us put on a presentation about Amateur Radio at the IEEE in Piscataway, NJ. Talking about "day" was my impetus for starting this blog - going on it's 20th year this year! 

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Congrats Larry. Good on you for moving this along. I will follow suit at some point but will go the kit route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:09 PM

    Not for me! I m retired and still don't have time for all my radios. From what I've read, this one still has lots of issues. What ever happened to testing and quality control before selling? And why do people wait excitedly for radios they have to fix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd guess you'd want to tell that to a lot of people who've purchased the KH1. I see all kinds of problems being discussed on the reflector.

      Delete