Sunday, October 24, 2010

The bands seem to be waking up

even with solar conditions not at their optimum.  This afternoon, while twiddling the dial of the K2, I heard several Argentinian stations on 10 Meters.  I also worked CO8LY, Eduardo in Cuba on a fourth band - 12 Meters.  I have previously worked Ed on 30, 20 and 17 Meters.  Ed was coming in like gangbusters.  His signal sounded more like he was down the street from me rather than 1,300 miles away.

I also had a nice lil' chat with Kim AB7JK on 15 Meters. Kim, who is in Largo, FL was using 1 Watt during our QSO.  There was a lot of QSB, but at peaks, AB7JK's signal was 579 into New Jersey.  I almost felt guilty using the entire "QRO" 5 Watts on my end!

I have started gathering the materials I need for constructing the 160 Meter antenna and for also adding 20 or so more radials to the HF9V.  The HF9V has been performing so superbly as of late that adding some more radials can only make things better.

And lest I forget, kudos to the ARRL for restoring the list of QRP DXCC holders on the ARRL Website.  When it went away, I was disappointed, as I like to look at the list from time to time to see how many call signs that I recognize.  It disappeared when the newly designed Website came into being in April; but now it's back - thanks ARRL !

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you Larry, the bands are definitely waking up. I have also worked Eduardo and his also very well heard countrymen Ore CO6LC...

    Ore was pounding in here at close to 40 over on 15 meters and just finished working 2 QRP stations I figured "why not" dropped the FT817 down to 500mw's and keyed the mic (Yes, I said mic, my latest experimentation(obsession?) QRP SSB)

    I worked Ore at 500mw's received a congrats on my QRP station and sig report of 58!

    10,12,15,17 and 20 have been incredible the past 2 weeks...I think cycle 24 is finally showing some life!

    72,
    Jim WA2OQJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Larry, nice to hear that 10 and 12 are starting to open up. I have not gone down there just out of habit thinking it's still closed. This weekend I will give it a go and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete