Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Internal Debate

Last night, I saw K6JSS/KL7 on QRPSPOTS at 24.906 MHZ.  I ran down the basement and heard Jim AL7FS in conversation with a Japanese station.  Jim was a realistic 329, maybe 429 at peaks and the JA station had a lot of polar flutter on his signal.  It was great to hear not only Jim, but also the JA stations he was working.  It makes me think that there maybe hope that I will be able to get K6JSS/KL7 in the log this week.

I see that Wayne NK6R mentioned that orders for the KX3 MIGHT be taken in November or December; however no delivery time was mentioned and I doubt it will be immediately. I have come to the conclusion that I will not be in that initial round of folks putting in orders.  It's going to take me quite a while to save and sell off items (i.e "fund raise") in order to have enough money to make this purchase.  I really, really want one; but "common sense" keeps kicking in.  You know, the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. I have a K1 and a K2 and a PFR3A.  Just how many radios do I need, anyway?  Realistically, the K1 and PFR3A are my portables and I can only use one at a time as it is.  And yes, I know I can sell them and put the cash towards the KX3; but I still have MAJOR regrets on having sold my HW8 so many years ago.  I have a real hard time parting with gear that I built myself.

Having a full time job (Thank the Lord!) and a wife and two young kids plus a house, my portable operations time is severely limited as it is.  To purchase a KX3 so that I could use it a handful of times a year out on the trail - does that even make sense?  Does it need to make sense?  Also, as much as I would like a K3, my life is fine without one.  There are Hams out there with a lot less, who would kill for what I already have. Maybe I just need to grow up, be happy with what I have and not even think about it.. 

It doesn't help to keep looking at that picture up top!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Larry,

    My initial enthusiasm for the KX3 is actually waning now. Funds are always finite, but I'm really starting to think that it's not the radio for me, and besides, you are right, you only use one at a time anyway!

    73!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:38 AM

    Larry...

    You can't work DX with logic...

    Start saving...

    Pitchfork in hand ;)
    Jim WA2OQJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:03 PM

    I feel the same way as you do about things you build yourself Larry. I'm trying hard to justify the purchase of a K2 (I know - I'm 10 years behind everyone else!) One of the arguments I'm using is that if in the future I want to sell it, though I'd take a hit, I'd get a fair bit of my initial investment back. The big problem with that argument of course, is that once I've built a K2, I may never be able to bring myself to sell it!

    The KX3 will be a fine, fine rig, but it's going to be available for many years, so you have a good few years to decide whether you want one. Take your time making your mind up - you have plenty of it.

    ReplyDelete