Saturday, October 08, 2011

Oh Snap!

That's what my kids say instead of "Oh, Darn" or "Oh, Heck" or worse.

That's what I said while working on the Butternut HF9V this afternoon.  Currently, I am taking a breather between mowing the front and back yards.  Before starting the front yard, I got the limb pruner out to take care of a branch in the back yard that is overgrowth from my neighbor.  It had pushed my Butternut out from vertical and was causing it to lean a bit to the right.

I removed the offending branch; but now that the leaves are out of the way, I noticed that the wire radiator had snapped.  Probably during some wind, the branch just plucked it until it broke and I never noticed it until the foliage was cleared away.

I still have to mow the back yard (among other things) so there is no time to fix it today, and tomorrow is booked as family time.  This will have to wait until next weekend (God willing me good weather).  The plan as it stands, is to remove the top half of the antenna (one screw and nut), bring it down, repair or replace the wire and then return things to normal.

Sounds easy, doesn't it?  Yeah ...... right !!!!!!

I have to get this done before bad (and cold) weather sets in as the Butternut, more often than not, is my radiator of choice.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment