Wednesday, February 13, 2013

100th NAQCC Sprint

I spent couple of hours last night playing in the NAQCC Sprint.  It was the 100th Sprint held since the founding of the club back in 2004. It was good to hear familiar friends and new calls come back to me last night.

My score?

Pitiful.

19 QSOs with 13 S/P/Cs worked - my total score didn't even break the 1,000 point mark, only 988 total points at the end.

Not sure why I didn't do better, but if I could blame one thing, I'd have to say probably a lack of practice.  A few years back, I used to get into every QRP Sprint I could.  NAQCC, ARS Spartan Sprint, RFTB every blessed month as well as all the miscellaneous QRP-ARCI and FISTS events.  I would routinely make 30 - 40 contacts in the same amount of time.  Nothing has gotten worse, equipment wise, in fact it's gotten better.  I still have the Butternut, the G5RV got switched out for the 88' EDZ and I even added the W3EDP.  The antenna and rig quality have definitely increased.

What hasn't gotten better has been the time spent behind the rig.  I am doing much better getting behind the key this year compared to last year (heck, the past two years!), but I don't get on nearly as much as I did when I was heavily involved in the sprints a few years ago.  My rustiness shows.

No one to blame, but myself.  I just have to get back on the horse and back in practice.

73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment