Sunday, February 03, 2013

The Mail Bag

I received two e-mails, that I'd like to share - the first is from Andreas, IZ3NYT:

"Hi dr om,

I built a new beacon on 30 meters, I would like your participation, I hope you have fun. receive the signal if I'd like your QSL card.
the frequency is 10139,2 khz cw wpm 8, power 100mw.

The layout and the pictures you can see on my site http://iz3nyt.altervista.org/.

73 de Andrea IZ3NYT"

Keep a listen out for Andreas' beacon - this would be an excellent way to know if the band is open to Europe

The second e-mail was from Blaine KØONE, pointing me towards a new Website : MorseFusion.com.  They are touting themselves as a new way to learn Morse Code:

"You begin by listening to a novel (over 20 available) spelled out in English (not in code). Then you select which letters, numbers, and punctuation marks you want to gradually start hearing in code. Proper character speed and word rate are maintained during all stages of training."

and

"Throughout the learning process you focus your attention entirely on listening to a novel, NOT on learning Morse code. Learning takes place gradually and in the background."

Interesting concept - but not cheap. A subscription of $19.95 per month is involved.  But, if all other methods of learning the Morse Code have failed for you, this might be something you could look into.

I have to admit, the list of novels that have is intriguing. Classics such as "Pride and Prejudice", "Moby Dick",  "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (had to read that in High School) and books that are a bit more fun, such as "War of the Worlds" and "Tom Swift and his Wireless Message".

The Tom Swift and Hardy Boys books were staples of my youth.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment