Sunday, March 03, 2013

DX today, but not QRP

Turned on the K3's afterburner to 80 Watts in order to work TX5K on Clipperton and TZ6BB in Mali.

This was the first time I have ever heard Mali on the air. My concern was to just get them in the log. He was very loud on 17 Meters. Afterwards, I did one of those "V-8 forehead slaps", thinking that he may have been loud enough to work QRP.

I could have tried again at 5 Watts, but somehow it didn't seem "quite cricket" to try and work them again on the same band so soon.

I heard TX5K again a bit later, and almost as loud on 12 Meters. I tried for a while to break the pileup, but my 5 Watts wasn't up to it. I will have to try later this week. If conditions keep up like they were today, I should be able to snag them again on 17 Meters via QRP. Patience and persistence will be the key.

I also began working on my PigRig while monitoring the pileups for TX5K. I got all the parts inventoried (yes, everything was there) and got the first few resistors soldered in before I had to step out for a while. Serial #81 is slowly coming to life!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

John AE5X said...

Good job, Larry - especially with Mali...a darn good catch.

VE3WDM said...

Good morning Larry, I had seen them spotted while on the radio on Sunday. They were just above the noise level up this way, so I kept the headphones on and listened as I did other things. It turned out they just got closer and closer to the noise level until they were gone. Oh well going to give it a go again this week. Congrats on making contact with them.
Mike