Friday, October 26, 2018

Unbelievable!

A relatively new Ham or perhaps just a new QRPer wrote to the KX3 e-mail reflector. In his post, he mentioned that sometimes he identifies himself as "QRP" and asked opinions if "that's out of line."

My answer was:

You're not out of line. But you might sometimes run into "QRP Syndrome", where you are being heard perfectly well, but as soon as you mention running QRP power, the QSB and QRM and QRN magically increase, exponentially.

Larry W2LJ

Now, so far the sample of answers has been low, but an unexpected tone has been developing. There have been what I would unabashedly classify as "snotty answers".

I would have expected better from the QRP community and I am hoping against hope these folks may be Elecraft users, but not necessarily QRPers. There's no reason to be snotty to anyone asking a question, especially a newcomer.  You can only make one first impression; and if it's a good one, it may be forgotten - but if it's a bad one, it's remembered FOREVER!

The QRP community, in my experience, has been a haven in Amateur Radio, where everyone that I have run into is friendly, helpful, enthusiastic and encouraging - almost like one, huge family. I'd hate to see that changing.

Fingers are crossed that as I monitor this post, the kind replies will far outnumber the nasty, self-absorbed, ego-inflated ones.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete