Monday, January 22, 2024

Brrrrrr !

This Arctic air blast which has inundated most of the country for the past week seems to be finally losing its grip. Today is the first day in a week that it's supposed to go above freezing. We have a warm up coming for the days ahead and that's just fine by me.

My Amateur Radio activity was curtailed, as the basement temps fell into the 50s with the associated cold outside. I need it to get warm aa I volunteered ................. once again.

I mentioned last week that Dave N1IX was the only 80 Meter Fox last Thursday. I sent an e-mail to Dale WC7S the official scorekeeper of the hunts asking him why didn't one of the alternates take the other spot? It turns out there's only one alternate and he's having antenna issues, so that was a no-go.

That's when I volunteered to be an alternate. The last three times I put in an application to be a Fox, I was assigned "alternate duty" and never got a slot. So admittedly, I gave up applying. But it seems there's a desperate need for alternates, so I sent in an application.

To my surprise, I was asked to fill vacant slots this coming Thursday and on April 4th. The down side is that I'm an "old school" Fox. I don't use N1MM and I log with good old paper and pencil, so my posted results may not make it until the next day - but I guess I'm better than nothing.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment