Monday, September 23, 2024

I was pleased

Around 1:30 PM yesterday afternoon, I headed out to the patio table and set up the QMX, the 4 States tuner and the AX1. I was very pleased with my session.

First thing I did was to set up for 20 Meters, find a dead spot, and after ascertaining that the frequency was clear, I called CQ about 4 or 5 times just to see where the Reverse Beacon Network skimmers would hear me.

Not bad for just 4 or 5 CQs.

Then I started tuning around the band looking for signals around 14.060 MHz, and there were plenty. I ended up working 6 POTA stations in IL, MI, KY, and NC,  And I even had a very short ragchew with Ed W8EO as he was setting up for his activation, when he answered one of my CQs.

Down towards the Extra portion of the band there were plenty of contest stations, but they were going at about 35 wpm or higher and I just wasn't in the mood to copy.

In addition to working stations, I got more familiar and comfortable with using the QMX. I figured out how to program in the CW memories and Message 1 is now a general "CQ DE W2LJ" type message and Message 2 is now "CQ POTA DE W2LJ". I'll fill in a few other message memories as needed. I'm also comfortable now with the actions of the various buttons and navigating through the menus. I still need to figure out the CW filters, though.

I was also able to get my new CW Morse paddles adjusted just the way I like them. I close the contacts all the way and then just back off about a quarter of a turn of the adjusting screws so that the action feels like a touch paddle. It's a single lever paddle and it's reminds me so much of my Palm paddles, that I used to own. What possessed me to sell those, I'll never know. On of the major blunders of my Ham career.

The 4 States tuner worked like a champ! I was able to match the AX1 to the QMX in a snap and had no trouble whatsoever getting a fully bright green LED and a totally extinguished red LED for a 1:1 match. An added little bonus, I was able to easily hook up the AX1 counterpoise wire to the 4 State tuner's black (ground) binding post.

So in the span of about 90 minutes I was able to learn a lot and make some contacts to boot. I feel like I'll be more prepared now to set up quickly and get to operating without fumbling around as much as I was before.

Later in the early evening, I got a GroupMe message from Marv K2VHW that Suke JM7OLW was on 10 Meters and was loud. I tuned in at 28.019 MHz and sure enough, he was loud as all heck! I guess when you're running a kW to a 9 element Yagi at 90 Feet, you're going to be pretty loud. I did manage to work him and get him in the log. It's been a while since I've worked Japan, and sitting back after the QSO, looking at the world map on HamClock, and realizing the distance between Japan and New Jersey, that magical feeling came rushing back.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP = When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. About the AX1 Larry...
    It's naturally resonant on 20M (esp when shortened abt 5 inches) and well within the SWR tolerance of the QMX. So, you could do without the tuner. They're a great combo for 20M POTA.
    Keep havin' fun. 72 de N4REE [as an aside: I use a NanoVNA to know when I don't need a tuner]

    ReplyDelete