Wednesday, May 10, 2006

1 (sandwich) + 5 (Watts) = Fun!

Had good success at lunchtime today! It was partly cloudy almost to the point of being overcast. More clouds than not. The temperature was about 68 degrees and it was breezy. But the waters were stocked well today; as I continue to use fishing analogies.

I got out to the car a little late; as I had to handle a few phone calls as I was leaving for lunch and the parking lot. I got set up at 17:07 UTC and started calling "CQ" on the SKCC frequencies on 20 Meters.

My first effort was greeted by the dulcet tones of Don W4BWS, from Dothan, Alabama. Dothan, by the way is the QTH of Dave Ingram K4TWJ who is the prolific writer for CQ Magazine. Don gave me a 569 and we had a quick exchange of the standard RST, QTH and names. Don had to hurry as thunderstorms were rolling in near him and he was experiencing lightning. It's definitely not a good thing to be hooked up to a wire antenna that's high in the air when there's lightning around!

My second QSO was with Edwin, KD5ZLB out of Shreveport, LA. Again, we exchanged SKCC numbers; but this was a more relaxed QSO. I could have carried on with Edwin for a much longer time. The ingredients for a good ragchew were all there save one - time! It was getting close to the end of my break and I still had to pack up the station and do my logging before making it back inside.

Tomorrow, it may or may not rain. If the rain doesn't start until evening; then I'll be out there again tomorrow.

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:19 PM

    I have got to add a Hamstick to the car and give this lunchtime activity a try very soon - it sounds like I am missing all the fun and I hate to get left out!

    Keep up the good work Larry, I am enjoying hearing what you are up to.

    73 de Jeff

    ReplyDelete