Monday, August 17, 2009

Eegad! What a weekend!

You get a pretty good idea what your weekend is going to be like when you receive a phone call 15 minutes before leaving on Friday afternoon to inform you that a major calamity has taken place; and that you have been thrown under the bus AND that all hell is breaking loose. I ended up having to stay for over an hour and a half, helping to piece together a plan of action for remediating the mess; AND to show how the blame was being wrongly placed.

Needless to say, it did not set a good tone for the weekend; and it carried over. In the back of my mind, I was preoccupied with the events from Friday. And from there everything I touched seemed to go south very fast. I turned on my "brand new" e-Bay PC and a big blue spark flew out the side. This was accompanied by a rather loud "BZZZZT" and the familiar (to me at least) smell of burnt components and evaporated circuit board traces. So much for bargains; and this will be another mess to clean up.

The weather was HOT! I don't know where Summer has been in the NorthEast; but it showed up with a vengeance this past weekend. Temps were in the mid to upper 90s and the humidity was "up there". I spent a lot of time watching my two youngsters at the community pool, which was definitely where they wanted to be. Since I never learned how to swim, let's just say the pool is not normally my location of choice. But as long as the kids are happy, I'm generally happy too. I have to admit that I did go in the shallow end up to about waist level. That was especially nice after mowing the lawn Saturday afternoon in that Godawful heat.

Yesterday, I got caught up in other things; much to my dismay. I didn't get the chance to play in the NJ QSO Party of the Run For The Bacon as I was exhausted each day by around 7:00 PM.

The good news, I guess, was that while the mess from work did carry over to today, I was actually able to help things get resolved and I still have a job. My position at work is not high level and my words don't carry a lot of weight; but honesty does. I have found out that when things are my fault, that it's best to own up to things and take the consequences. This way, when things AREN'T my fault, I tend to be believed as I am known for not shirking responsibility.

I wish the same could be said for others.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment