Monday, August 03, 2009

K1 container pictures

As promised, here are the pictures of my creative endeavor (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

This is the Rubbermaid container as it came from the grocery store.


The lid with a 3/4" piece of foam hot glued to the inside of the lid.



Same thing; but a side view. Isn't hot glue a wonderful thing?



The interior, with foam hot glued to the bottom and two sides.



The container, minus the lid, with the K1 stored safely inside (top view).



I used 3/4" foam on the top, bottom and two sides. The K1 is now nice and snug. I placed the top on and shook things up. The radio stayed put and there didn't seem to be any movement inside the container that I was able to notice. The nice thing is that container is also inherently water proof; or water resistant at the very least. These containers are advertised not to leak; so if they won't let liquids out, by the same token, they shouldn't let liquids in.

It's probably overkill on my part; but I really value my radios and I do all that I can to keep them safe, working and new looking as well. Scratches and dents may be badges of honor to some; but I avoid them as much as I can.

73 de Larry W2LJ


1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking of something on those lines as well. I really like to have a complete station in a box, a "QRP station to go" if you will. If for no other reason that it reduces the chances of forgetting a vital component.

    A few years ago I saw in a store some plastic tool cases filled with foam you could cut to hold what you want. But of course I can't find anything like that now I actually want it, so I guess I'll be using sandwich boxes same as you.

    ReplyDelete