Saturday, August 22, 2009

Favorite QSLs

I have a lot of QSL cards hanging down on the shack walls protected by those plastic protective sheets. I don't have enough space to display all the QSLs that I would like to. Each QSL card is special to me; and I like them all. There are a few however, that I really, really like looking at over and over again. It might be because of the quality of the card; or the subject matter of the card, or perhaps it was a memorable QSO. Here are a few of my most favorites:


I got this card for working Special Event station W1AA on International Marconi Day back in April of 2000. This card is special to me, because I visited Wellfleet during my first year as a Ham Radio op, shortly after upgrading to General. I remember looking over the vast Atlantic, and thinking of Europe and my own DX contacts and just being filled with awe that MY signals have jumped over all that distance!



This card with the penguins brings back to mind a memorable QSO. I heard VK0MM in QSO with another station and "tail ended" at the end. I thought Alan was "just another" Australian op and had a quick QSO. I didn't find out until much later that QSOs with Macquarie Island are not common as the scientists stationed there get precious little free time to get on the air. I stumbled across the QSO just scanning the band and running into Alan. That's the way I like to work DX - IMHO, it's more exciting that way.



I love this card because of the photo, pure and simple. A key and a log book filled with a ton of contacts! How does it get better than that?

In the weeks and months to come, I will post photos of other memorable QSL cards that I have lining my shack walls. I love everything about traditional QSLs; and I hope you do, also.

73 de Larry W2LJ

2 comments:

  1. Very nice collection. There are some very attractive cards out there. I use e-QSL as it permits me to change my graphic at will. Presently have Great Lakes Salty taken from and old postard early 1900's. 73 de Dick N2UGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice QSL's. When I divorced in 1985 I lost my whole QSL collection. After years of QRT I pick up the hobby, but now I am no collector anymore. Maybe I will start eQSL, because it's very easy to send one. No QSL bureau and clubs to visit. ;-)
    But I agree that some QSL's are very beautiful. 73, Paul PC4T

    ReplyDelete