Tuesday, November 30, 2010

80 Meter Foxhunting

I managed to nab Jim K4AXF rather quickly tonight, immediately after my friend W2SH Charles worked him.  W2SH is about 10 miles or so from me as the crow flies; but I think he has an advantage over me as far as elevation goes.  He is situated amongst the Watchung mountains (hills to you folks who are familiar with the Rockies - but mountains in NJ) where I am only about 150 feet or so above sea level here.

80 Meters is a bit strange here tonight.  There's a steady S2 level "whooshing" sound that's annoying as all heck.  I have no idea what is causing it.

My lovely wife Marianne has been asking me if there's any radio thing that I want for Christmas this year; and I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  I don't want her spending a lot of money on me; so I am limited as far as the Amateur Radio world is concerned.  I was thinking of maybe the PAR End Fed for 20 - 30 - 40 Meters which is about $75 or so, I think.  The price of the Morse Express Christmas keys has been going up and while they are very nice .......... I don't think so this year.  I have a few of them already and I'm thinking "Just how many miniature keys do I need, anyway?".

Marianne wants me to send her some links to items I would like; but somehow I think she'd have a coronary at the price of a K3 or a Begali.  Since I don't want that to happen, I'll keep those links to myself.

What are all you hoping to find under your Christmas tree or in your Christmas stocking or for your Hanukkah present this year?

72 de W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Larry, the Par End Fed 20-30-40 looks very impressive. It's rather compact for the amount of coverage that you get. True keeping the K3 and Bengali sites under your hate for the time being would be wise. Having said that my amazing XYL had purchased the K3 and a Bengali key for me....a birthday and Christmas gift. Hmmmmm as for this year under the tree don't know I think this year we are going to enjoy some time off together and the gifts may be on the light side. Well Larry have fun hunting down those pelts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry, we don't give presents with X-mas, but with Sinterklaas on the 5th of December. Some people tend to do presents with X-mas. Life itself is expensive enough. So we (XYL and me) give each other a small present (about 25 euro / dollar) with a poem. The children will get some more presents. But we never exceed the 100 euro each. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry; always enjoy your postings. As far as Xmas gifting is concerned I prefer to receive a subscription renewal for one of my magazine subscriptions. Those are getting pricey these days and they have the added advantage of remembrance every time the postman brings a new issue. Best, Chas W5PG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site love the revolver maps and i have enjoyed reading the article and i will come back again 73 matt m6ceb

    ReplyDelete