Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holy Shamoly!

Things have been severely slow at work; as we are in an "End of Year" freeze.  No new equipment can be installed until after the New Year.  So there has been not much to do at all.  To alleviate the boredom, I brought my Acer netbook (which has my log on it) into work with me and have been catching up on some DX QSLing.

What a chore!

Some guys are OK with the bureau, some want only direct QSLs, some LoTW only, some eQSL only.  Some won't accept an eQSL. Some won't accept a paper card and so on and so on and so on. It's enough to make your head swim.

Figuring out how to get a QSL can be tough enough; but the "Direct QSL Only" guys are definitely getting a second look from me.  Most of these guys are requesting a couple of "green stamps" for each card.  That could add up fast!  The only way I am going this route is if the QSO represents a country I have never worked before.  Other than that, as much as I love getting QSLs, I'm not paying two bucks each plus postage!

I don't know how these die hard DXers survive this.  In addition to spending heaps of money like they do for top of the line stations and antennas - the cost of QSLing must make them reach way deep down into their pockets.

As it is, to save money, I employ the use of the ARRL Outgoing QSL Bureau. I can't imagine what it would cost to send each QSL individually overseas (even just to the bureaus) with the price of airmail stamps what it is.

In this case, I'm glad I'm not that big of a DXer. I'd never have been able to afford a KX3 at this rate.

While I am on the topic of QSLs ..... I want to let it be known (officially) that I AM NOT the QSL manager for T31A. That is W2IJ (Whiskey Two India Juliet).  Please do NOT send cards to me - I have no way of answering those!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure a monthly parcel could be arranged if W2IJ would send you a few green stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete