Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ordering a KX3

Mike, KB3ELW (love that suffix) posed an interesting question on the KX3 Yahoo group:

"As we near the release date, is there any specifics as to how initial orders will be taken? Will emails go out to those who have added themselves to the list at Elecraft? Will it be sequential? Will it be rolling orders? Maybe a brief synopsis from those in the know?"

I am nowhere close to being in the know; and since I didn't order a K3, I don't have the knowledge of how it was handled back then.  But I would assume that those of us who signed up for the KX3 announcement page would simply receive an e-mail stating something like: "Orders are now being taken, please proceed to the Elecraft ordering page."

Really, how else could it be handled?  The initial surge will probably be for hundreds if not a thousand or so units.  I can't imagine it being in the tens of thousands; but then you never know.  Whatever the initial order surge is, I am pretty confident that Elecraft's ISP can handle it.

Working in the hardware side of the IT field, I've seen servers in the financial industry literally fry and die from overload activity; but that was only during the mortgage bubble collapse back in 2008, when Lehman Brothers went down.  I can't imagine us QRPers and other Elecraft fans generating THAT kind of activity.

I too am anxious to get my KX3 ordered, just so that I know the order is in and taken care of. I know the actual order processing will take a while; but there is something to be said for the peace of mind, knowing that I am in the queue.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment