Friday, December 02, 2011

What's the buzz?

Here's the buzz - as posted on QRP-L :

"I am pleased to announce that Hendricks QRP Kits has purchased Red Hot Radio Company, owned by David Fifield, AD6A. With this purchase, I now have the exclusive rights to produce and sell all of the Red Hot Radio Kits, including the Red Hot 40, the Red Hot 20, and the SMK-1. Red Hot Radio produced some of the highest quality kits for several years, but was closed due to Dave not having the time to run the company because of his day job. Now, those kits will again be available. The first kit that I will bring back online is the Red Hot 40, and it is available for shipping now. There are 35 kits in the first run, all on 40 meters. The next kit will be the SMK-1 which will be available in about a month. I encourage you to go to the website, www.qrpkits.com and check out the manual for the Red Hot 40. The kit will sell for $250 plus shipping and handling. And the kit is in stock and available for immediate shipping. Ordering
information and a full description of the radio including the manual is available on my website: www.qrpkits.com

Scroll down and click on the picture of the Red Hot 40 to see all of the information. Thanks, Doug"


A lot of folks seem to be excited by the return of this.  We all know what I'm saving up for.  Oh, and by the way, Wayne NK6R announced on the KX3 list that they will be publishing an early draft of the owner's manual within the next week or two.  I am looking forward to that!

Lastly, Jim W1PID posted of a late fall hike up in New Hampshire - complete with beautiful scenery and pictures.  I had the pleasure of visiting the Franconia Notch in the White Mountains; but that was way back in 1979 - on a photographic vacation with a high school buddy of mine.  That really is "God's Country" up there!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:41 PM

    I wasn't particularly active in the hobby when the original Red Hot kits were available, so have little knowledge and no direct experience of them. However, unless the performance is spine-chillingly excellent, the price seems rather steep for a QRP monoband CW transceiver - even if it does come in a very good-looking case. It does seem to have been missed though, so I'm sure that some will consider the price worth it.

    W1PID's pictures and description of his hike are wonderful. Makes me want to get into the big outdoors again!

    By the way, due to the fact that I've only just begun my odyssey with the K2, it's going to be quite a while before I get on board with the KX3. Therefore, I'll be relying on your posts in the future so that I can live a KX3 life vicariously through you Larry. Your audience will be waiting!

    Dave
    AA7EE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry, thanks for the link, nice job for wintertime! I like your Christmas header. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. $250 for a single band CW only QRP rig? Can't see anything red hot about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to agree that 250 is on the high side. However, if it were red hot in the box it might be worth considering. I'll think about it if a 20 meter version is presented...hopefully not fire-engine red.

    ReplyDelete