Thursday, December 08, 2011

One is better than none

with regards to tonight's 40 Meter QRP Foxhunt.  I managed to work Dave AB9CA down in Alabama.  Then as I was listening for Greg AB7R in Washington, there was a "snap" and the noise level went from S1 to S9 +20 in the blink of an eye.  Danged plasma TV or other appliance!

It's really amazing how this occurs. Literally, like the flip of a switch, 40 Meters is turned from a nice quiet band to instant garbage.

For those of you who have been in the hobby for a long time, you probably remember the days when someone would come knocking on your door saying, "Your Ham Radio is screwing up my TV."  Did you ever think the day would come when a Ham would be able to say, "Your TV is screwing up my Ham Radio"?

I just wish I could pinpoint the offending appliance.

Well, that finishes my Foxhunting for the night.  Maybe I'll go down to 80 Meters to see if I can scare up a ragchew. Or even better, maybe I'll turn in early for some extra sleep.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Larry, that is a very good point I sure do remember the knock at the door. I knew what it was about before I even opened the door. The funny thing was there was no problem with the neighbor demanding you stop using your radio. It was causing their entertainment to be disrupted!!! We ham's walk on rice paper when it comes to our entertainment being disrupted. In the past it was the ham who went out and paid for devices to help remove our interference from their TV. I have not yet read of a ham who's neighbor has stepped up and purchased a device for our entertainment.

    ReplyDelete