Saturday, February 04, 2012

FYBO fun

FYBO was fun today.  No big effort as there were way too many other things going on that vied for my attention.  In between chores and duties, I was able to get out to the driveway, where I had the PFR3A on a battery in the back of my Jeep.  The antenna was the Buddistick on the magmount on the top of the roof.  Kudos to Bob W3BBO for suggesting this setup - it worked great!  The car body acts as a much better counterpoise/ground plane than the single wire and using the magmount eliminates the need for mast and guying.  So if you're not hiking - this is a great way to use a Buddistick.


It ends up being much taller than a standard Hamstick (definitely not drivable), but the SWR was very nice and I was able to use the PFR3As internal tuner to even get that ironed out flat.

Ham at work - excuse the mess!

First QSO of the day was with Hank N8XX operating as "Amigo" with the WQ8RP callsign.  In all, I made 11 contacts in between grocery shopping, baking some bread for my daughter's choir bake sale, etc, etc, etc.

Here's a better look at the antenna.


On 40 Meters, I undid the tap and extended the whip all the way.  That gave me about a 1.4:1 SWR.  I only made one contact on 40 Meters and that was with Mark NK8Q in Pennsylvania.  He was using only 1 Watt and almost blew the ear buds out of my ears.  I don't think I have ever heard 1 Watt as a 599 Plus before today.

The temperature was 45F when I started, so for simplicity sake, I used that throughout, even though I think it started dropping for my last couple of QSOs.  I think the lowest temperature that was reported to me was 32F and the highest was 76F.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Hello Larry,

    Can I ask what the clear plastic enclosure that your earbuds are connected to is?

    Thanks for the Blog, Mike (M6MTN)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    I apologize for not seeing your comment and posting it earlier. The enclosure that you are referring to is called a "Booster-oo". It is an audio amplifier that will allow me to hook up about four sets of headphones. My hearing is not what it used to be and I need to amplify the PFR3A's output just a tad. The "Booster-oo" does a wonderful job.

    Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete