Saturday, June 02, 2012

A couple of thoughts about the KX3 build

I have a bunch of chores and chauffeuring to do today.  I probably won't get around to continuing the build until this evening.  To paraphrase John Lennon's quote: "Real life is what happens while you're busy making Ham Radio plans".

However, here are a couple of thoughts about the progress so far, for those of you who might be inclined to get one of these but are undecided.  This isn't meant to sway anyone either way - just some observations.

The assembly manual is superb.  No ambiguities at all.  Each step is very clearly outlined.  If you have any questions, they are always readily answered on either the regular Elecraft reflector or the KX3 reflector.  It's a big community.  Even though the number of kits shipped so far has been less than the number of factory built units shipped, the Elecraft folks and the Field Testers are quick to supply answers.

Elecraft was super quick to answer my query about missing screws and supplied me with a tracking number the next day.

In the opening pages of the manual, the words appear "Even easy for first time kit builders".  This is true - don't think that just because you've never built a kit before that you can't undertake this.  I know that the price point can make the effort seem foreboding, but it's really not. 

Do make sure to do the parts inventory, though.  I am sure the missing screws incident is due to the haste to get product out the door.  As the opening rush subsides, I am sure missing parts will become rare.  I ordered my K1 and my K2 way after the initial release and neither of those kits were missing anything. Indeed, I had excess screws which are proving to be a real life saver now.  But in the meantime, if you have ordered a kit and will be getting it soon - DO THE INVENTORY.

Hopefully, I'll be posting more photos later tonight.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!


1 comment:

  1. It true Larry I find inventory to be one of the most important first steps. There are three things this step does for me.
    1. Gets me familiar with all parts this is important as some parts (and there are) look the same but are very different.
    2. If you count all the parts and let say you counted 20 screws and when it comes time to use the last one and you are short!!! You then know you did have it and the hunt goes on to find it. I have had this happen many times.
    3. If short an item and yes it does happen now and then with Elecraft, It can get ordered and may be in your shack when you reach that part of the build. Thats better than finding the problem at the time and having to put the build on hold.

    ReplyDelete