Monday, June 25, 2012

Taking a plunge.

This past weekend was terribly busy, busier than even I thought it would be.  As a result, I didn't make it to ANY Field Day activities. Friday (I took the day off), Saturday and Sunday were all spent clearing out my Mom's apartment, which has to be vacated by this coming Friday.  Thanks to our efforts (my sister, her husband, and myself) we are at the point where only relatively minor things have to be done.  We will make the deadline with no sweat. Well, actually we sweat a lot this past weekend!

My sister and I got into a discussion about the small amount of money that my Mom was able to leave each of us.  My sister suggested that my Mom really wanted her and I to use a small portion of that on ourselves.

With that in mind, I took a deep breath, and placed an order for a K3 last night.  The K3/10, the ATU (have to be able to hook up both antennas), the 400 Hz roofing filter, and (get this!) the hand microphone.

I am excited by this; but have mixed emotions.  I am not used to splurging on myself like this.  Usually, when I get a new piece of gear like my PFR3A or the KX3, I have to sell something or somehow otherwise earn or save up the money (birthday and Christmas money gifts, etc). This is truly bittersweet as it is the last temporal gift  that I will ever get from my Mom.

 But she always approved of my hobby and was glad for the enjoyment it gave and continues to give me. 

Thanks, Mom - for everything!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Larry, it's a nice gift from your mom and I am very sure it brings her great joy as she looks down on you seeing the shine on your face when the new rig arrives.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the K3 will be a nice memento to your Mom, to remind you of her every time you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry,

    Put away the guilt, enjoy the hell out of the new rig!! That's what your mom surely would have wanted.

    73,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete