Friday, June 15, 2012

Getting in some operating time

tonight, because according to Ron WB3AAL and a post he made to the Polar Bear reflector, band conditions might turn into a mess this weekend:


Space Weather News for June 14, 2012
 http://spaceweather.com 

DOUBLE CME: Active sunspot AR1504 is facing Earth and hurling coronal mass ejections (CMEs) in our direction. A fast-moving CME that left the sun on June 14th is expected to scoop up another CME already en route and deliver a double-blow to Earth's magnetic field on June 16th. Weak-to-moderate geomagnetic storms are possible when the clouds arrive. Check http://spaceweather.com for images and updates.

Tonight, band conditions are nice and I am having a blast.  I had a very brief QSO with TJ W0EA and this ended up being my first KX3 to KX3 QSO.  I am also hearing a lot of European stations and am able to work quite a few.  But this just goes to show you ...........

My QSO with TJ was very brief because my signal to him was exceptionally crappy.  I looked down and realized that I was still on the EDZ for our QSO.  After signing with him, I switched over to the Butternut, called CQ again and got a 559 from OM7DX in the Slovak Republic.

The other night was a first for me.  I heard my very first VU station - ever!  For whatever reason, I have never even heard a station from India before.  Hearing one the other night was an exciting first for me.

Ah, yes .... it's Friday night, the work week is done, the weather is nice and I get to go on the radio.  Great way to start Father's Day weekend!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Larry! Good QSO today - sorry I called you Joe, I always get you and W2KJ mixed up! Hope conditions are better next time :)

    72
    TJ W0EA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry congrats with your first VU station. I do work VU but it's on one hand for 35 years. There must be a lot of radio amateurs over there, I suggest. Maybe not, I don't know. I like your new header, gives a good summer feel. Have a nice weekend, 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete