Thursday, August 21, 2014

Oh, how I hope they're wrong!

For my USA readers, I don't know how many of you put stock into the Farmer's Almanac, but here's a link to an Associated Press article about their "long-term" USA weather forecast for the end of 2014 and for 2015.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OLD_FARMERS_ALMANAC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-20-15-08-00

I've never heard the term "refriger-nation" bandied about before. I know it's kind of a fluff piece, but I sure hope they are wrong!  And you may well be wondering - "How does this relate to Amateur Radio, Larry?"

My answer:


I don't think any of us want to see this kind of occurrence taking place, as simple wires and verticals can be affected just as adversely.  I know there's that old adage, "If your antenna made it through the Winter, then it's too small." But really, who wants to deal with antenna problems in single digit temperatures or in ice and snow?  I know some guys who actually relish it.  I, for one, don't.

UPDATE:  I sure hope this gentleman never runs into ice storms! (Tip o' the hat to W3BBO for the link.)

 http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~kan1/newmonsterantenna2.html

Imagine hooking up your QRP radio to THAT baby!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry, I lost a vertical back in the eighties with this kind of weather. It wasn't a vertical anymore and the antenne received better signals from stations that had the same kind of damage on their antennas. No one is waiting for a winter like that. But what can we do. It's nature. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete