Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Brrrrr ! But some nice warm fur!

As I sit here typing this, it's 12F (-11C) here in NJ. But that's OK, because I nabbed me two Fox pelts tonight in the 40 Meter QRP Fox hunt.

I was able to snare Andy W9NJY in Wisconsin fairly quickly - seven minutes into the hunt. Randy NC4RT was another matter. Once I found him, he was but a whisper above the noise level. But in QRP, patience is a virtue that usually delivers rewards. Towards the second half of the hunt, Randy was very audible and getting stronger. When I logged him at 0304 UTC, he was a legitimate 579 on peaks. We exchanged the standard Fox hunt exchange and viola` - a two fur night!

This was Randy's solo stint as a Fox. His first night up at the plate. If he had Rookie jitters, you sure as heck couldn't tell. He acquitted himself very nicely, was in a very good rhythm, had control of the pile up and will have a nice Hound tally when his night is all said and done. I wish I had done as good a job my first time (so many years ago. Hi!).

I am a happy Hound!


72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment