Thursday, October 15, 2015
This is tailor made for outdoor QRP
This is going to be good ..... and fun!
This activity, National Parks On The Air, was devised by the ARRL to celebrate the centennial of the National Park System. The idea, of course, is to operate from and activate as many National Park units as you can. We have twelve here in New Jersey.
1) Appalachian National Scenic Trail
2) Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
3) Ellis Island
4) Gateway National Recreation Area (Sandy Hook)
5) Great Egg Harbor River
6) Lower Delaware - National Wild and Scenic River
7) Morristown National Historical Park
8) New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route
9) Pinelands National Reserve
10) Paterson Great Falls
11) Thomas Edison National Historical Park (West Orange Laboratory)
12) Washington - Rochambeau National Historical Trail
As QRPers know, activating a park doesn't have to be an elaborate affair. In fact, most of the times we QRPers go out and about in the field, it's a minimalist affair - but that doesn't mean minimalist results. A radio, some wire and a battery - and you're good to go.
It will be interesting to see if QRPers and SOTA operators can take the lead on this one and show the Amateur Radio world what we're capable of and what we can do. In fact, this is the perfect opportunity to take members from your club and show them what QRP can do - and perhaps win a few converts in the process.
QRP and the Great Outdoors - perfect together!
72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!