Saturday, August 31, 2019

Guess I'll jump on the bandwagon

and will include a photo of ICOM's all new IC-705 QRP radio that was introduced at the JARL hamfest yesterday.


I have to admit that back in the late '80s and the '90s I was quite the ICOM guy. I had an IC-730 which I'm kind of sorry that I parted with. That radio was easily modifiable to go as low as 100 milliWatts output which made it a great QRP radio. I eventually got an IC-751A, though, because the IC-730's relays were too clunky and slow for the digital modes of AMTOR and PacTOR.

My next rigs were of course, Elecraft, which I continue to use today.  The IC-705 looks like a real winner though, being designed along the same lines as the IC-7100. There are enough of my fellow QRP bloggers out there who have posted all the details, so I won't go into them here. But it truly does look like a back pack ready QRP and QRPp machine.

Competition is good. If there weren't any, we would never see the hobby progress. There are a few out there who are claiming that ICOM has left Yaesu and Elecraft in the dust with their new technology. That may or may not be the case; but I think it will have both manufacturers looking hard, spurring them on, so that their next edition of radios will surpass what's available today.

73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I've used the latest mid-range offerings from Yaesu and Icom, and I agree with those who say that the Icoms are streets ahead. Whilst my basic but very reliable and sensitive FT-450 from Yaesu has served me admirably, I think it will have to be an Icom next time around.

    ReplyDelete