Sunday, June 18, 2023

International QRP Day +1

Alas, I didn't get to get on the air yesterday for International QRP Day (more about that in a bit) but I did run across this interesting video courtesy of the K9YA Telegraph Facebook page. (Facebooks IS actually useful for something!)


I found it interesting, anyway!

Back to yesterday. I was at that W2QW RVRC Hamfest for which I posted the flyer a couple days ago. I got there at 5:00 AM to help park the vendors into their assigned selling spots. Then around 8:15 AM, I went over to set up and get ready for the VE Session.




We had eight candidates in all. There were supposed to be eleven, but two called me on the telephone Friday evening to cancel (theyfelt they weren't ready) and one was a no-show.  Three upgraded from General to Extra, Two upgraded to General, and two earned their Technician Class license. The eighth candidate came to us with no license and left with his General. That was especially gratifying. We had hoped he'd have a trifecta day and make to Extra, but it was not in the cards yesterday, but I'm sure it won't be long!




For the most part it was a good day. The weather turned out perfect and buyer attendance measured up well compared to previous years. The only disappointment was we could have used more sellers. The weather prognosticators were calling for the possibility of showers - which actually came late in the afternoon, and only in some scattered areas, way long after the festivities for the day were just a memory. 

72 de Larry W2LLJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!


2 comments:

  1. Tom AJ4UQ3:05 PM

    The VE pictures remind me of our early-Covid sessions held on our team lead’s back porch…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I remember those, and not too fondly! Our team started outdoor sessions, I think in about April of 2020. Until it got to be more summer-like, those session were a mite chilly and definitely breezy to windy. Not fun.

      Delete