Saturday, June 10, 2023

Pondering the unponderable

I never thought I'd ever do this, but I am pondering the thought of selling one of my KX3s. Specifically, the one downstairs in the shack.

What I am seriously considering, is replacing that one with the KX3 that I use for portable ops, and then replacing that with the QMX from QRP Labs.

I'd be giving up 17, 15 and 10 Meters, but then I can probably count on both hands the time I've used those bands in a portable situation. In the FOBB, Skeeter Hunt and other QRP events in which I operate from the field, the bulk of my contacts come on 20 and 40 Meters.

I'd miss the auto tuner, but I do have an Emtech ZM2 languishing in the backpack that I used to use when I had my PFR-3A. The smaller size and weight of the QMX would be nice, definitely not as much to carry.

An added plus is that with the extra money that would be garnered from such a sale, I could finally purchase an antenna analyzer, which is something I've been wanting for a long time now. 

I'll still have to ruminate on this for a while.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Elecraft is like IBM -- nobody ever got fired for buying IBM stock. You're consideration is trading down, IMHO. But at the end of the day you gotta be happy! Good luck with your decision!

    73 de Jeff KE9V

    ReplyDelete