Thursday, April 04, 2013

My name is Larry ..... and I am a Lid.

There! That sounds like the beginning of an Alcoholics Anonymous story, doesn't it? I'll explain my confession about being a Lid in just a little while.

Actually, the evening started well. After dinner, I was able to get on the radio for a bit and found some activity. My first goal was to work some QRP DX. Now that I have entered the Club 72 DX Marathon, I don't want to be the only US station entered and show up dead last. To that end, I was successful and worked PP1CZ from Brazil on 17 Meters. To my delight, I found activity on 10 Meters also, and I was fortunate enough to get 6Y5KF from Jamaica and LU1FAM from Argentina into my log. I entered the PP1CZ and LU1FAM as official QSOs for the day.

Now, onto the 80 Meter QRP Foxhunts and my liddiness issues.  The first Fox was easy. I was easily able to find Jim K4AXF. Since Jim is located in Virginia, that's a real easy shot from New Jersey on 80 Meters. Using the KX3's Dual Watch feature, I had Jim's pelt within 16 minutes from the beginning of the hunt.

The second Fox was Jerry N9AW. Normally, Jerry is an easy catch for me. Most Wisconsin and Minnesota Foxes are. Sometimes I think I have a pipeline to that part of the country. But this time his signal was weak, so I waited for a while before calling. Sure as anything, Jerry's signal started improving. Again, using Dual Watch, I was able to figure out rather easily where he was listening. I began calling, but for some reason, I just wasn't making it.

That's when I discovered my error! I looked down and noticed that after I had worked K4AXF, I had turned the split function off. Horror of horrors! I had forgotten to turn the split function back on and I was calling N9AW on his calling frequency!  The "Prime No-No" of Foxhunting! If I could have dug a hole, I would have jumped in and closed it up after myself. I had probably angered a whole bunch of my brother and sister Hounds. Imaginary mutterings of "Lid" stung my ears. My deepest and sincerest apologies, my fellow Foxhunters. I have violated the sacred Foxhunters Code of Conduct. I will accept the 40 lashes with a wet noodle that I am entitled to.

After rectifying my mistake, though, I got Jerry in the log in very short order. In fact, it only took one call. Amazing how well things can go when you use the equipment properly.

My fellow Fox hunters are a kind and magnanimous group, so I doubt anyone will give me grief. But that won't be necessary, as I will give myself plenty, and will do my best to make sure I don't make the same mistake a second time.

Being a Lid is no fun.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. It happens, even to the best operators. Don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing better than an honest confession in bad situation. You've done the right thing, and I imagine, most seasoned hams have done the same, or much worse sometime in their career. Hihi

    Not pushing the "split" button is one of those "teaching moments". Perhaps we will all be more aware of this danger now.

    BTW/ Nice article on the NAQCC newsletter this month! I've always liked that picture. It captures the essence of QRP perfectly and I enjoyed reading it. Great job Larry!

    ReplyDelete