Sunday, April 21, 2013

Something not often heard

I was listening around the bands this afternoon, looking for juicy DX, when I heard something that I'm not quite sure I've ever heard before.

Ivan 5N7M in Nigeria was on 17 Meters and he had QRS'ed to a very nominal speed. My estimate was somewhere around 18 WPM, maybe? Far slower than I was accustomed to hearing him, and he was calling CQ, but for new stations only.

I thought that was pretty FB. There are a lot of budding DXers out there, new to the game who are probably intimidated by this aspect of the hobby.

We've all been there. Do you remember what it was like? You're pretty proud of your code speed, only to find yourself in the middle of a pile of Hams who seem to be calling one station all at the same time.

"What was his call? 5NZM? No, that can't be right!"

"HN7M?  Oh, no, I think it's 5N7M. Man, that sounds like 40 WPM!"

To the beginning Dxer, it is all so confusing and it all must sound like being caught in the middle of a buzz saw factory. For Ivan to take the time to slow it down, and seek out new stations that have never worked him before is commendable.

I wonder how many new DXers might have been born today.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment