Friday, April 10, 2009

Thoughts on 30 WPM

I have been listening to my "homebrewed" 30 WPM Morse Code practice CD that I made using G4FON's Koch Trainer for a couple of weeks now. I listen for about 15 minutes in the car on the way to work in the morning; and then for about 15 minutes on the way home from work at night.

I have noticed that, at this speed, I am actually hearing entire words now, instead of just individual letters. In fact, I may miss a letter or two; but the word still "pops" into my mind after I hear it completed.

Strangely enough, I have also noticed that if I listen too intently and try to concentrate on the individual letters, that I get all bollixed up and start missing things. If I just listen, carefully - but not TOO carefully, then the words just start to flow. As I've said so many times before, when talking or writing about learning Morse Code, the number one, most important thing to do is relax and keep loose.

Right now, I would estimate that I am copying accurately around 60% to 70% of the words being sent. I am thinking that this is the time to make a new practice CD at either 35 or perhaps 40 WPM. I have always found, throughout my Ham career, that if I let myself get too comfortable at a certain speed, then it becomes harder to get over the hump to the next higher level.

My ultimate goal is to get comfortable at the 40 WPM level. Why? I really have no idea, other than it's something I want to do. Maybe like Sir Edmund Hillary said, "Because it's there".

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could copy at 30wpm. In fact, I wish I could read CW without thinking about it at 15wpm. Incidentally my own program MorseGen can also make WAV or MP3 files for practising. It can't make you find the time for regular practise sessions though.

    ReplyDelete