Monday, August 07, 2006

Could it be good luck?

Today during lunch, I had the distinct pleasure of working Dave WA9ZJI/8 who was located at Lake Gogebic, Michigan. Dave is on a camping vacation.

It turned out we were both QRP. I was out at the car, operating the K1 to the 20 Meter Hamstick; and Dave was pushing out 4 Watts from his MFJ gear at what I was sure was a pretty grand outdoor location.

Dave had a beautiful 579 signal, which went up to 599 at peaks. The band was really up and down with deep QSB. I feared I would lose him a couple of times, only to have Dave come back even louder! So you never know.

As we were signing off, Dave confirmed that he was operating outside and that a bird had just relieved itself upon his gear. One of the hazards, I guess! I've always heard, though, that that kind of incident is a sign that you are to be visited by good luck. Maybe that's just an attempt to put the best light on an otherwise messy situation!

Later on, I did a Web search on Lake Gogebic, which I had never heard of. What a beautiful area! This really enforces my desire to someday go on vacation to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Click on the picture above to go to the Website that I visited.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment