Monday, May 04, 2009

Being crafty


Up until yesterday, my K2 "stand" was the cardboard box that my Yaesu FT-1500 2 Meter radio came in. It was perfect. It lifted the rig about 2 or 3 inches off the table; but yet maintained a flat angle for the front panel as opposed to the titled angle that you get when using the bale. I don't care for using the bale - I like the angle of the front panel to be straight on. Call me "picky".

The cardboard box served well for several years; but as of late it has gotten saggy. What I wanted was something the same size; but sturdier. Yesterday I had to go to a local arts & crafts store to buy some supplies for a school project that my daughter Cara has to do. While I was in there, I decided to walk down the unpainted wood aisle. That's where I found an unpainted wooden box that's normally meant for decoupage projects. The length and width are a bit bigger than I wanted (the Yaesu box almost mirrored the K2's dimensions to a "T"), but the height is perfect. And it only cost me $5.

So now, as you can see, my K2 is happily perched atop its new pedestal; and it's a comfortable fit for me, too. My wrist is at a good angle to manipulate the tuning dial and the buttons without getting tired or feeling cramped.

73 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. OK, someone had to ask. The white plastic 90 degree sewage pipe coupling to the left of the K2 is for what, exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:55 AM

    I'll bet it's a home-brew speaker baffle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julian,

    The speaker is a Radio Shack amplified speaker which points "up". The PVC elbow pipe, which is approximately 15 cm, sits on the front face of the speaker and directs the sound to towards my head; and also gives it a "nicer" sound. I don't know how to describe it - it's not as harsh as just the speaker alone.

    73 de Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete